Friday, December 2, 2011

Where are the Curls?

Miriam Cooper, circa 1916
This is something that I've been thinking about for a while but I've decided to share my thoughts about it on this blog. As a fan of classic movies, particularly silents, I like to keep an observation on not only the movie itself but also the subtle scenery. Think about it - you are witnessing a part of cinema that is long gone, it's easy for movies nowadays to be set during an era, but an actual film made during the time is completely different. Having a fascination with these treasures of cinema, I like to keep a keen eye on the fashion and especially the hairstyle of the time.

Which leads me to the question, where are the curls? As a movie buff, I've witnessed that woman's hairstyles during the first decades of Hollywood were mainly curly hair. I'd like to know what happened to this sweet style trend? Curls may seem youthful, but they are also very feminine. Cute and charming long locks of curls as shown in the pictures here make me feel like more people should be adorning them. Naturally, I have wavy hair and when I look in the mirror, I sometimes feel like I'm channeling the lovely actresses of the early years of movies.

No, I'm not saying that all people don't have curly or wavy hair, but I'd like to see more people have their hair like that. I feel like so many girls/women today are so focused on straightening their hair until it is completely straight. There's nothing wrong with that but I'd like to encourage you to give your hair some bounce. It's good to experiment so please don't feel like you know curly hair would look terrible on you, just give it a try. After all, there's nothing wrong with trying new things, or in this case, different hair trends! Do you feel like more women should have curly hair? Have you tried it out? Leave a comment below, I'd love to hear your thoughts. =)

Mae Marsh, circa 1915

0 comments:

Post a Comment