Tuesday, December 13, 2011

What if...I was a character in the Nutcracker?


As a first part for my "What if..." series specifically for the month of December, I wanted to go with a dream I've had ever since I first saw this ballet around 8 years ago - the Nutcracker. Tchaikovsky's most famous ballet has been as captivating to me as it must have been to the audience that first saw its debut in the late 19th century.

So if I were to be apart of this ballet, which character would I be? I had a tough time deciding between two important characters, Clara or the Sugar Plum Fairy. To me, both embody innocence and beauty while maintaining a strong importance to the audience.

Clara is the heroine of the story who unknowingly gets whisked into a magical but strange world. I've always adored the near-romantic relationship between her and the Nutcracker, especially when the curse is broken and he returns as the Prince. However, some say that the Sugar Plum Fairy steals the show as she performs her famous and elegant dance after the Land of Sweets has been saved. Sure, the Fairy's role isn't as major as Clara's, but both are somewhat significant.

I can honestly admit that I feel a piece of Clara and the Sugar Plum Fairy inside of me. As for Clara, entering a world far away from home is reminiscent of Dorothy Gale. The Sugar Plum Fairy shows grace from the start and although she only shows positive emotions, I believe that she could in a way resemble the feisty Tinker Bell.

In upcoming posts, stay tuned for my thoughts on their makeup inspired by these characters! Tell me, which character do you see yourself as? What else would you like to see in the "What if..." series? Comments are greatly appreciated. =)


0 comments:

Post a Comment