Monday, October 31, 2011

Polished: A Note On Nail Art

Hello, spoiled pretty readers!

I adore good nail art. The Internet is full of great examples - chevron stripes, zombie faces, manicures in Tiffany blue with white detail to look like gift boxes - the examples are endless.

Personally, I always wanted to achieve half-moon nails at home. A beauty idol of mine, Dita Von Teese, often rocks a perfect half-moon manicure with ruby red and bare nail.

For my first attempt, I painted the bottom half of my nails silver, and went for purple on the top portion of the nail. It was so ugly, I destroyed the photographic evidence.

For my second and final attempt, I went for bare nails on the bottom portion, and red on the rest of the nail. I applied stickers meant for french manicures on the bottom of my nail, and painted over them. You are supposed to wait until the polish is completely dry to remove the stickers. I didn't exactly trust that, so I removed the stickers when the polish was still slightly tacky.


Some stickers left a well-defined line behind, some were crooked, and more still looked like I hadn't even used stickers at all. Ugh.

I came to the conclusion that I am far too much of a perfectionist to ever be happy with do-it-yourself nail art on my own nails. I applaud those of you who have the patience and artistic ability to do it, I am just not one of those people. So, I am going to stick to what I am good at - basic manicures!
 
-Alyssa

0 comments:

Post a Comment